Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cork relay and team WORE from Boards AC



Leg A by David

I decided to still get a speed session and a long run in and I shouldn't have, I should have been less selfish and remembered I'm apart of the team.I went through the first mile in 6:20 and felt good but decided to slow it down a notch and completed the second mile in 6:40 but I was starting to struggle, I was craving water and a toilet stop. I passed roymcc somewhere round here and he commented later that I did not look good and he was right. Just before the 3 mile mark there was a water stop, great but without even thinking about it, I stopped and then went for a wee. Mile 3 in 7:46 I thought of the team and in paticular passing the baton on to Robin and I saw Orobhsa at this stage(I think) and that perked me up a bit but not for long. Two more disappointing mile splits went by, 7:14 and 7:23. I felt like crap after finishing my leg, I wanted to let a roar. Funkyzeit who had a great leg ended up having to listen to my crap for a while, thanks I have never stopped in a 5 mile race and I can't remember the last time I ran so slowly for 5 miles, I've run this time in training for fcuk sake.So anyway sorry lads but still a great time and we'll be back next year. for sure.


Leg B and C by Robin

We knew it was going to be a horribly hot day, but we had a bit of a chance the evening before to prepare any additionl excuses we might need in the pub, and once eliwallach and Orobhsa had left we decided to buy another round of "excuse" just in case. I had a reasonable nights kip, but was then up early to rush down the breakfast in the B&B, although it was questioned as to if having the fryup was the best idea I refused to turn it down, I then had to jog into the city to catch the busses out to the first changeover point with Woddles camera on my back ready to hand over to him. Whilst finding my spot I met blind_hurler and we were then both peering down the road for any sign of Woddle or Funkyzeit, and not really knowing who would appear first. There was great support for everyone though from those waiting for the changeover, then at the last moment we spotted Funkyzeit coming towards us at great speed with the wristband held out, he handed over and off Boards B went. I was then left watching for every blue singlet that appeared round the corner wondering if it was Woddle and I very nearly jumped out in front of some Togher AC guy before Woddle appeared and I went off in chase of the Boards B team. Pretty sure that I started off a touch too quick initially with a sub 6 for my first mile and not knowing really how far the people you are running beside have already done it was kind of hard to figure out an appropriate pace. I was steadily overtaking people for the first couple of miles though, but the hill back out of the tunnel after having the brief escape from the sun was tough and I was then slowed down to a couple of 7 minute miles. I went through 10 miles in 1:08 and then spent the next while trying to do some maths in my head and figure out what pace we were on overall, but without a calculator I gave up. The support along the route was pretty good all the way though, apart from through the tunnel, and running straight through the second change over point was a great wall of sound going along the narrow gap between the crowd on either side which really gave a boost.I knew I'd slowed the pace a bit too much by this point though so I was preparing myself for once I was running along the river and was ready to try and speed things up a bit for the last couple of miles once I was on the flat. Apparently they build river banks a bit different down in Cork though as once we got there, past some nice scenic castle type thing, turned a corner and there was a stupidly steep uphill waiting for me which kind of finished me off for a bit. It was a welcome relief to have the shade of the trees along the last section though, but trying as much as I could I just wasn't able to get any miles in nearer my intended pace. Half way came and I just made that in 1:29, but knew that was not going to be enough in that weather to finish off the final two legs.Only a few hundred meters after the halfway clock I turned the next corner and was delighted to see Orobhsa jump out into the road in front of me and take the wrist band from me to carry on the second half. I clocked myself at 58 minutes for the two legs, which whilst just under the claimed 1hr was not quite as good as I'd have achieved in more suitable weather, but considering what we had was delighted.Met up with Woddle taking pictures just around the next corner and we then made our way over to the finish area to wait for the winners and eliwallach to come in. It was a very respectable time for us all considering the conditions though and would certainly be up for having another stab at the sub 3 next year.


Leg D by John

I had forgotten all the drags in the fourth leg. Set off too fast and wasn't able to keep the pace. Splits were going backwards after my first mile. Past a few marathon runners in the two miles but the few drags meant I didn't get to close many gaps later on. Found it tough going between the drags and the heat though if I know Robinph had rounded up some cheer leaders to help us celebrate I might have been able to push on a bit. Really happy to go over the crest by the Rendezvous and pass over to Eliwallach. Dumped a few bottles of water over my self. Got a bus back into town a few mins later. At one point the driver picked up a guy who was standing at a bus stop somewhere in Bishopstown. He sat behind me and was wondering why there was about 10 guys dripping wet in shorts and t-shirts sitting on the No 5.Poor guy said he was going for a swim and ended up at the city hall! At least the driver didn't take the fare!


Leg E by Tom

After waiting in the shade of a tree with Rainbow Kirby (has anyone else mentioned the heat??!) I finally derobed (sun-hat, t-shirt) at 11:00am (Orobhsa, we calculated, was due anytime from 11:13 onwards). The atmosphere at the final relay changeover point was a little muted at first but began building especially when the leaders started passing through.I was peering up the Model farm Road (optimistically) from 11:05 onwards, the sun was in our eyes and we could just about make out the silhouettes of the advancing runners as they emerged from the shimmering heat. I said to Rainbow that I would have been delighted if Orobhsa arrived around 11:10 which would have given me an enormous cushion for the sub 3hr attempt. The Navy sub 3hr relay team ominously changed over around 11:13 - well on their way. 11:15, 11:16 passed and with it (the heat was a huge factor) I felt our sub 3 efforts were evaporating.And then at 11:18 Orobhsa emerged from the heat like a mirage. Quick wristband and bag changeover and and I was off quickly but in my heart of hearts knowing that I wasn't going to complete the 6.4miles in less than 42mins, but I was going to give it a lash. Up the remainder of MFR I began passing full marathoners (these guys were out on their feet - and I was so glad I took amadeus' advice from months back that running a marathon in summer was "madness"). On I went with (in fairness) encouragement from the crowd equally for full and relayers alike. I passed another relayer half a mile into the final leg - he had only changed over with 6.4miles to go but had began walking already (I could only think of his team mates who had gotten him to this stage in a very respectable time for him to start walking half a mile into his leg)!Didn't start my watch on changeover and had no exact mile split times but I calculated I covered the first 1.2 miles in 8mins. I had intended to be a bit more conservative over the first mile (what with the hill and all) but that had gone up in ether.Round by Nangles and down onto the 'Straight Rd. The heat hadn't started to affect me yet but the full Marathoners were suffering badly and I was picking them off one by one. I passed two or three relayers along the 'staright Rd which gave me a little boost.At the 23 mile mark my watch read 11:40.03 which gave me a little less than 20min to complete the final 3.2 miles - a tall order. The heat was now beginning to dry my throat and burn my lungs. And that was after only 3.2 miles of running. A full marathoner stayed with me between miles 24 and 25 and I left him then 9I felt at least I had "carried" him a bit for that section. For that section along the new mardyke walkway I became isolated and there wasn't a runner within 40yards either side of me. It was here that I saw (The) Roy Keane with another couple of guys in the shade of the trees. On impulse I said "Roy!", he laughed back and put his finger to his lips "shhh" (don't tell anyone I'm here). I emerged from the welcome shade of that walkway and I could see the ponytail of a (what turned out to be the second placed) woman about 40yards ahead. My alarm for 12:00 (and sub 3 hr) beeped at this stage . I tried to chase her down but the gap wasn't closing along the quay - in fact she seemed to be pulling away from me.Across Christy Ring bridge to huge applause and the final quay section and onto Patrick St. Support was huge and I got in on the tail end of the rapturous applause for the second placed lady. PA announcer called out "relay team Wore from Dublin" as I crossed the line in 3:03.31.Disappointed? No. I think as a team we did exceptionally well under the massive heat circumstances. Woddle was on hand taking photos at the finish and Robin was there with a congratulatory handshake and smile (not as big as the one in the above photo, though). Orobhsa had yet to make it back from his changeover.


So 18th overall out of 1100 and sth, so got to be happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment