Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The rollercoaster of marathon training, summed up in one run

This is an excerpt from one of our runners logs heading to Rotterdam, and I feel it gives a nice little glimpse into the mind of a marathon runner:
Today, 7 miles including at least 2 at PMP. I started off this log way back, talking about how I felt I was a complex group of atoms traversing the Earth's curves, and that was something I felt at the time- it made me feel aware and alive like nothing else- "living in your moment" if you like. Tonight I tried to recapture that, and for a while I was racing the sun as it set along a curving hill on the horizon I ran to. It felt good, but not what I was after. This was to be my last real run before the marathon, and I so wanted it to feel special. (I had even downed a half bottle of nice red to prehydrate). Tried running a few steps witrh my eyes closed, but it still wasn't doing it. Towards the end of the run, I started speeding up, and realized that I was now happiest when running fast, instead of just running. I'm taking this as a good omen, and will bring this feeling with me to Rotterdam.
Credit to Paul Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment